Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Some observations and comments from this past week:
Lots of people were buried last week, which is such a chilling prospect that I couldn't stop reading the coverage. I almost can't believe that in this day and age, people can be buried in a mine - seems so 19th/early 20th century. I am in awe of the people willing to go to work hundreds of feet underground just so others can benefit from the resource being mined.

Fiberglass insulation (for the house) is expensive. And pink. And it makes the air hurt. Fortunately, it's also effective and our house feels cozier already; I can't imagine how warm it will be once we're finished hanging it all.

People in the US are finally recognizing that French and Spanish aren't the only two languages that should be taught in schools. Arabic and Chinese are starting to get their due. It's reaffirming to know that all of the content about which Primary Source works to educate K-12 teachers is being recognized as important and necessary. Course, that doesn't mean that we get all of the funding that we'd like, but it's a start.

Angelina Jolie might be pregnant! Whoopee! God, who cares? I am so glad that I'm not famous because it seems like it's impossible to participate in a normal, healthy relationship and be under the disgusting and excruciating magnifying glass of the media.

I finally watched Million Dollar Baby. I say finally because it was all anyone was talking about for a while and it won so many awards last year. It was certainly a good movie and Hilary Swank is one hell of an actress, but I wasn't blown away. It was sadder than I was expecting and had more shots of Clint Eastwood's weirdly-shaped butt/hips. Bryan and I couldn't entirely get over the fact that it looked like Clint was wearing depends under those hiked-up grandpa pants he sported in every scene. Kind of a silly reason to knock a film, but it's hard to watch a movie when all you can think about is whether or not Clint has a bladder problem.

I also watched the movie The Missing - not a terrible movie, but you can save yourself 2 and a half hours(!): Angry woman's father returns to her frontier home after an absence of many years - woman's daughter is stolen by a band of outlaw Indians. Woman reconciles with father (who has been living with Indians himself for the past few decades) to search for daughter and rescue her. Lots of shots of Tommy Lee Jones' craggy face and some sappy, melodramatic moments. Aside from some beautiful shots of the American west, I wish I'd been reading or dusting or something rather than wasting time with this movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home