Tuesday, December 21, 2004

'Tis the Season

To date:
I've attended a lovely and enjoyable work holiday party at the house of one of my colleagues. There was eggnog with a kick and plenty of Al's African punch. Luckily, I didn't get too sloshed and say anything dumb though I do remember answering rather cheeky questions from one of the 70ish-year-old founders about the slight age difference b/t Bryan and me, our reading/sleeping habits and where we will be living come this spring (all while he was standing right there). Inappropriate Mitch.

I experienced a surreal Saturday night in which I started with dinner in a Mexican restaurant, attended a very Cambridge-like party in...er, Cambridge,with people in their late 20s and early 30s. I discussed travel to China, the importance of global education, and the tastiness of the Indian food that was served. I ended the night at a "dress-up" party in Brighton with a group of early to mid 20-something-year olds all wearing very high heels and make-up that looked like it came from their mothers' vanities; one girl was wearing an aqua dress, black lace gloves, very blue eye shadow, and thick, black leg warmers (on top of her very high heels, of course); she could've been an extra straight out of a David Lynch movie. I discussed how a girl becomes a woman, what the inside of a uterus looks like, hitting on a tard at a bar, and the tastiness of the Busch lite and Twizzlers that were served.

Sunday, Christmas at dad's. A very nice time in which I mingled with some family that I see once a year, and my brothers. The first gift opened by my nephew, Noah, was a big Thomas the Tank Engine set that he wanted to open NOW. When he was told that he had to wait until he got home to play with it, he looked around and said, "Ok, I want to go right home, right now." He wasn't too happy that his request wasn't immediately granted, but we were able to distract him for a few more hours. I scored a new standing mirror, a plant stand, one sweater and some housey knick-knacks that I will find good homes for (other than mine).

I truly love celebrating this holiday, but I am learning that I much prefer giving the gifts to getting them. I so enjoy thinking about and finding a great gift for someone, and then watching his/her face as that gift is opened. Now that I have a house, I am finding that people want to help decorate it for me and this comes across in my gift-getting. And it's not that I am totally opposed to this help - there are plenty of people who could decorate my house way better than I, but I don't like a lot of clutter and I don't like pointless knick knacks. Figurines, snowglobes, wall hangings: Bad; candles, vases, pictures: Good. Someone should write a book about this or offer courses in gift-buying. haha. As if Christmas weren't commercial enough. Anyway, gift-anxiety aside, I am looking forward to the eating and the visiting and the game-playing heading my way over the next week.

I bought a hockey stick and soccer ball for Noah last night, thereby completing the bulk of my Christmas shopping. I still have a few small things to grab, but the end is in sight (with 3 days to spare, not bad). Bryan and I will attend dinner at Kate's tomorrow evening for some more tasty English cooking and a little Facts in Five.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home