Friday, October 29, 2004

Halloweeny

First off, I would like to apologize for my cruel addendum about CS. I truly respect and admire him as a ball player; it does not matter what his personal political beliefs are once he is on the pitcher's mound. I was just really disappointed to find that he supports a President who enforces and believes so many things that seem antithetical to the bravery, heart and intelligence shown by Schill on the mound. I had to share my disappointment and horror. So, it's done. I still love Santa Claus and the Chanukah Fairy, etc., etc.

Speaking of horror. To say that I am a Halloween enthusiast might be one of the biggest understatements I could make all year. I dislike Halloween decorations that involve cute pumpkins, goofy ghosts and silly witches. This is like buying a too-precious snowman to symbolize Christmas (everyone knows that Christmas is just about pine trees and presents - I'm kidding). Every once in a while, a well-meaning loved one will get me "something for my 'collection'" and it is absolutely, undeniably, 100% freakin' cute. In the future, just smack me in the face - you'll save money and I'll save space in my attic.

What I LOVE about Halloween is all the darkness and spookiness that accompany the holiday. It might be the pagan in me or the little kid simultaneously delighted and terrified by the monster under my bed, but I am fascinated by things dark, demonic, witchy, scary and fierce. And I find that Halloween is such a great time to celebrate those things in life that most people try to forget about once they stop bringing a flashlight to bed (just in case). I love horror movies and stories about monsters and ghosts. One of the reasons I love the holiday may be that I am not someone who lives her life in such a way that anyone would know that I love these weird, creepy elements. I am not a 'Goth' or a horror writer, and I'm certainly not a satan worshipper. I don't like 'real-life' horror or crime stories and I have a hard time watching gory scenes in movies.

Maybe it's because I fell in love with Dracula at an early age. Yes, the slightly cheesy Stoker invention of the elusive, sensual, ageless Count who can control people by tasting their blood. I had and still have NO interest in actually running into this person or becoming like him, but I was fascinated by the story of Lucy and Mina and Jonathan Harker. And by Dr. Van Helsing, whose life work was to prove Dracula's existence and eradicate it. I love the story of good vs. bad particularly where bad is not quite human and has a 'story' and an aura that seems to enchant as it repels.

The idea of Halloween comes from a time when people thought that all souls were released on November 1st (smart souls, to get away before it really gets cold [in New England anyway]).
"The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain (sow-in), when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.

To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities. During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other's fortunes." (from the History Channel)

So, when we buy Spiderman masks and mullet wigs and fairy wings and fake butts, we are harkening back to a time when the lines between death and life were not so defined, and the ceremonies to say goodbye to those lost to death were not so formalized and stiff. For one night, one holiday, we suspend some of our logical, more scientific thought to embrace a moment of pagan revelry and to give in to those beliefs that seemed so real when we were small, making sure the closet door was closed and turning on the nightlight so we could see what was coming out from under our beds before it got us. I, for one, will never stop believing in those monsters and ghoulies that may get me when I'm not looking. In fact, if I see them, I may hire them to scare the shit out of my friends as they walk through my 'haunted basement' at my Halloween party.

Do you know where your flashlight is?

1 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I'll be leaving for my first experience of the 6th annual halloween party and it will be the first time in probably 15 years that I will wear a costume. The last time I went ot a costume party I was dressed up as Harpo Marx (age showing, note gray hairs) and my pal was Groucho. It was quite impressive. I knew that I could never top that so I never tried.

Today, I have a modest yet passable costume (not going to reveal before the party) but nothing close. In fact, the particular costume was chosen simply because my daughter insisited I not be anything scary - so that's as close as you'll get for now. However, the real reason I am agreeing to make an appearance in costume is because it Jill's party...you can't get much cooler than that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home