Friday, October 22, 2004

The Cards, cards, a cart, discards and a departure

The Sox will play the Cardinals in the World Series - I think that it will be a great match-up and I am looking forward to watching every minute this weekend.

Before baseball starts, I have a memorial service and a wedding on Saturday. I have to get cards for these and how very different the content of these cards. One is for the family of Kristie Ley, my friend and co-worker, who left this world too soon due to stomach cancer. We will celebrate her life and her funny, cynical, cat-loving self. Too bad I probably won't find a card that says how shitty it is that she's gone; instead, I will find an inadequate, moronic card dripping with banal drivel about 'memories sustaining you' and 'going to a better place'.

The second card is for my friend Jen, who is getting married after dating her boyfriend Dave for 7 years (5 or 6 of which have included Dave's undergrad and grad school work at Northeastern for PT). Jen and I met in seventh grade and have been through a lot together. She is the only person with whom I still keep in touch with from my Framingham school days. It is gonna be really great to watch her walk down the aisle. Too bad that I won't find a card that says you're finally marrying the guy that you've waited for and worked with and even though your family is crazy and your wedding day may be filled with more drama that you'd like, I'm happy for you; instead, I will find an inadequate, moronic card touting 'forever love' and 'congratulations'. Actually, that's not too bad. But, maybe I should think about writing up some of my card ideas and sending them on to Hallmark. Ha!

On Sunday, I will pick up a microwave cart that I found on Craigslist. I have been looking for the perfect cart since July and I think I've found it. It has an extra drawer for Saran Wrap or whatever (we only have 1 drawer in the kitchen and it has our silverware in it), a bottom storage area for cookbooks and kitchen towels and wheels that lock in place. Very exciting. I also plan to install a new bathroom faucet and finish sanding and sealing my kitchen floor. Could my life get any more thrilling?

I also have to do some weeding. I am not really a packrat or a sentamentalist, but I have accumulated a lot of crap that is currently sitting in my mom's attic. I did notice that she brought a few boxes of my shit down to my house and put them in the garage - she is a wily discarder, that one. I'll never forget the look on my sister-in-law's face a few weeks after she and my brother bought their house; my mom pulls into the driveway with a van, opens the doors and starts loading all the boxes of ephemera (and a dirt bike) that my brother had never thought about again once he left home. There were old games and comics and clothes and god knows what else.
So, one day, I may come home to find every single thing I've ever left at her house in my garage. Course, I had to move just 4 doors down, thus making it easier for her to dump the junk, and it is my stuff and I should take responsibility for it one of these days. Mom, I know you read my blog, Don't Worry, I'm coming for it all.

It is almost time to get out of here on this dreary gray Friday. Tonight is Heather, the Notice-Giver's, going away party. She is leaving the library that I used to work at and believe me, walking out those doors is a liberating and empowering experience. She still has a few weeks of work, but a group of current and former employees are gathering to drink ourselves silly in her honor this evening 'cause it worked for everyone's schedules.

Go Sox!!

1 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cara Mia. . .you have no idea. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home