Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Theater, Music, a Book Worth Reading

On Sunday night, went to see the Shakespeare in the Park production of Much Ado About Nothing at the Boston Common with Bryan, his roommate Dana & her mom. Besides somnolent limbs, it was a picnic-irific time: perfect weather, good company and food, and an amazing performance by the actors, particularly the one playing Benedick. It was the last night of this season, but if you live in Boston and have never gotten around to going, SITP does this every year for the month of July for free and it is usually a worthwhile and well-done production.

I noticed an article on Boston.com today about musicians uniting against Bush's reelection. There will be a bunch of benefit concerts that sound unbelievable.

Just finished reading She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb and I found it heart-wrenching and well-written. The main character, Dolores, is crass and cracked and as flawed a character as I have ever met. The story is so well-crafted and I was so drawn in that I had some trouble reading the parts about her late adolescence and attempt at college. I found myself thinking about her situation even when I wasn't reading the book and hoping that she made it through her life. I was hesitant to read the book since it was pegged a 'good read for women' and selected as an Oprah book club book back when the big O ruled the literary ebb and flow, but it was highly recommended by a trustworthy source, so I gave it a shot. I am very glad that I did and I look forward to reading Lamb's other book This I Know is True.

1 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger Chris said...

The Big O? Ebb? Flow? I gotta check that one out..LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home