Sunday, August 01, 2004

Goodbye Nomie

I got a new job! Starting August 23rd, I will be the new librarian at Primary Source in Watertown. My last day at my current job is August 17th. I am so happy at the prospect of working somewhere with a clear mission and normal people who actually respect and value their library. It is a small, non-profit organization that works with teachers to create curricula for history classes. The library supports the organization and is in need of some organization and tlc. I am looking forward to the challenge!

In other news, while I was staying in town for the DNC, my mom 'lost' my air conditioner out of my bedroom window in a mad rush to "shut all the windows" in case a drop of rain made its way, sideways, onto the hardwood floors in my new house. Her devotion to dry wood caused her to approach the window with the ac in it, notice a gap, and attempt to close it, thus spilling the large unit onto my driveway 2 stories below, crushing it with totality. No rain got in that day. Well done, mom.

I also co-hosted (with Kate) Jen's bachelorette party on Fri night. She loved being handcuffed to blow-up Charlie while completing fun and dirty tasks (so much so she asked to keep the handcuffs and blow-up doll!!) We started at Kate's apartment, moved onto Dick's Last Resort where they really know how to abuse a bride-to-be and ended at the Hong Kong in Faneuil Hall with meat on a stick and scorpion bowls. Kudos to Jen for completing all tasks all the while "not feeling drunk at all" (as she slurred her way through every word in the English language). On to the wedding in 2 weeks.

Well, I knew it could happen, but I guess I didn't really believe that it would. Nomar Garciaparra has been traded. In return, Boston received 2 Gold-Glovers who can play amazing defense and as evidenced by last night and today's game, not much offense. I know that Sox management wants to win a championship worse than its fans, so I will trust this move, but I really would have liked to see Nomar finish his career in Boston. According to Dan Shaugnessy from the Boston Globe (I can't even link to his article, he is such a douche), Nomar hated Boston and was miserable, so good riddance. But, I think that he was an amazing player, who got hurt, had management lose trust in him so he became discouraged. I think he is focused and driven and has a few years of good baseball in him. I wish him well with the Cubbies. At least he has as much of a shot, if not less, at winning the whole thing this year.

4 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

For those of you fooled by Jill's backhanded stab at Orlando Cabrera's offense, I should note that Cabrera homered today in his first at bat with the Sox. Welcome, Orlando and Doug. Prepare to be loved.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Chris said...

1. Congrats on the job. Though for selfish reasons perhaps I would have really enjoyed it if the MBCC thing came through back when, but ultimately I am glad that you found something that you feel will give you that warm and fuzzy that jobs don't usually provide.
2. I haven't stopped laughing at the AC adventure. I actually saw the aftermath - ya gotta admit its funny.
3. I agree with you on the Nomar commentary. Aside from being a great ball player, I really think he was the only shred of class in the Sox organization. I hope that he's appreciated the way he deserves to be by his new team and its fans.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I like that our postings are nearly identical. I am glad that we could host the bash together - you and I should go into business. Enjoy your last two weeks. No one deserves it more. And prepare for a hell of a bash. Stock up on Vitamin B now.
xxoo,

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This just has to be anonymous. . .because the guilt I am feeling has comsumed my every moment (not to mention the cost of a new ac). The other side of the story (to steal from Paul Harvey) the window WAS open on the top. . .how can a suma cum laude put in an ac and leave the window open?? ask the other half of the brillant duo. . .Brian??? He's my witness. . .now I wonder who has the higher cum. . .let's get down and dirty. . .

What will the Columbus Club do without Nomar? and Framingham Baking and Louie. Nomar will be missed by all of us in Framingham who enjoyed rubbing elbows with him! But the root of the trade, how do we fans stop the media who are merciless with their comments about the athletes the fans love (remember Mo)...I ask how long did Dan S. play ball or Bob Lobel? (maybe with their own balls. . . )!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home