Monday, August 09, 2004

Ponies were good to us

Saw my very first horse races this past weekend in Saratoga. I won a decent amount on the first two races I bet on, got overzealous, lost all of my winnings and then some on the next 4 races I bet on, then won the last race to come out $7 up. This was enough to cover the $6 lemonade I bought, but not quite enough to cover the $6 admission. All in all, not bad. I had a lot of fun watching the horses run and didn't lose my shirt. Bryan didn't quite lose his shirt either, but he did lose 40 bucks while his friend Eric walked out of the track $240 up. His brother-in-law came out $120 ahead which then led to a tasty, paid-for dinner (thanks, again).

We discussed gambling at great length throughout the day and came to the conclusion that it is a great effin feeling to win, which causes one to continue to bet in the hopes of winning again. But ultimately, you aren't supposed to win, so if you just stay even or end up only a reasonable amount down, you have enjoyed a day of entertainment for a small price. I realized that I could never become a gambling addict since I really hate to lose money for any reason.

Thanks to Eric and Shayna for putting us up in beautiful Saratoga and for getting stupidly drunk with us on Friday night and then to Eric for feeding the game-playing need in both Bryan and myself with Trivial Pursuit for 4 hours.

It was great to finally meet the famous baby from Bryan's computer and to hear one of the best answers to the question "what does a horsie say?" from this adorable baby. Had a great dinner with Bryan's sister and brother-in-law and I got to meet Kobe the dog.

I have one week left at the Library, which equals just 5 more work days. I am looking forward to geting out of here and starting over at a new library that needs someone who really cares about the functions of a library. I am also looking forward to a few days off in between jobs. Joe and I actually have a few bites on a roommate for our extra bedroom. We have slowly started moving stuff into our apartment which is really exciting. I have to finish the kitchen which is going to be the hardest room, workwise. Once that's done, we will officially live there. No date is going to be put down in writing here in case Bryan tries to hold me to it, but I see living there by the time September is here. If anyone wants to/knows how/knows someone who knows how to wainscot walls, let me know.

3 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice digs! Love those skylights.

So happy for you on the new employment. Wish I had a rock-solid number to count down with. We'll see--people are coming back to look at the house Wednesday!

HC

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

B.S. No one out there should belive Jill when she writes "we have moved stuff" I have all of their "stuff" what they have moved are the recent acquisitions they have bought and stored in their garage. . .the feds raised the interest rates today, mmmm I should charge for storage of their "stuff" anyone out there agree??

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Love the house Jill!!! When's the party?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home