Wednesday, May 17, 2006

ESCAPE

Sunday, April 30

Got to Logan via LJ and the Logan Express bus. When we got up to the ticket counter, I realized that I didn't have my purse, which I had had on the bus. No license, no credit card, no money, no composure. With a look of what could only have been sheer panic, I explained that my purse was gone to the ticket agent. She told me to run downstairs to the Information booth to see if I could stop the Logan Express bus before it left the airport. I did this, the info booth guy did stop the bus, scanned it and talked to the driver. No purse. The American Airlines people assure me that I will be able to get on the plane and to run to the gate. So, leaving my complete identity somewhere in Boston, we head to the gate.

At the security checkpoint, I am allowed to pass after showing a prescription bottle I happen to have in my carry-on, the absolute only thing with my name on it. We had a smooth flight to Dallas/Ft Worth, rode the new skylink tram to our connecting terminal, ate some tasty sandwiches, and arrived at our gate just in time to board our flight. Bryan had to admit that his first experience in TX was flawless.

After another smooth flight to SD, we flag a cab and, in a total rookie move, realize that we don't have the address to our resort. Our cabbie drives in the "direction" of the resort as we call 411 to get the address. We inform the driver who radioed headquarters and in some indecipherable African language got directions adn navigated his way to the Bahia Resort.

We informed the very nice hotel clerk, Scott, that we were on our honeymoon and got an upgrade from garden view to ocean suite - sweet. Then, because I needed to get all of the telephone numbers to cancel my credit cards, we asked for directions to the closest library. We got some funny looks from Scott and the concierge, but a player had to find some free internet in a foreign city and the public library is the surest place. We all learned that there was a library just under 2 miles away and as soon as we'd stored our stuff and changed into cooler clothes, we set off. We made it to the 'brary with 1/2 hour to spare, looked up all of the #s and then truly began our honeymoon.

We walked along the boardwalk and were amazed by the throngs (that's thRongs, not thongs). I managed to walk into a short palmtree-like thing and pierce the inside of my ear (having one hell of a day) - it bled and hurt for just a bit before the constant sight and sound of the Pacific assuaged all pain.

We ate at a great little pizza place on Pacific Beach, Luigi's, where we discovered a Southern California treat, Red Trolley Beer - mmmm. After dinner we took a dip in the hot tub, where we met a woman originally from Leominster, Mass. now living in AZ, I stubbed my toe harder than a Big Papi drive to right, and we finally retired at 9:30 PST.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE HONEYMOON BEGINS

Monday, May 1


Still on East Coast time, we woke before the sun at 7:00 AM. I called every credit card to cancel, and fell in love with Chase who not only changed my name to Mrs. O, but who agreed to overnight my replacement card to the resort - Yay. Then, around 9:30 AM (PST), I called Logan Express and learned that my purse had been found. Happy day. My mom went and picked it up and overnighted my license to the hotel, thereby saving my heretofore unidentified ass. With this new piece of mind, we read all morning, ate a delicious breakfast buffet, lay on the beach, swam in the pool, napped, watched the first batter of the Sox/Satans game (booing inside all the while), turned it off so as not to ruin this perfect day, just in case, walked to the ocean again, ate tacos while watching the surfers, went back to the hotel to read a little more before setting off to our Sunset Harbor Cruise.

May 1st continued at Bryan's blog as well as our exploration of La Jolla on May 2nd...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home