Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Inspiring

As I mentioned in my previous post, I went to see Tori Amos in concert on Sunday night. The show was at the Bushnell in Hartford, which is a medium-sized venue, and it was packed. I was surprised to see such a mixed crowd, men and women, from teenagers to those in their 60s. When the concert began, I realized why so many people love this singer. I discovered Amos when I started college and I was immediately taken with her piano playing, her haunting, often times cachophonous voice, and her incisive lyrics. When the curtain opened, she was standing in a single spotlight, behind her was a baby grand piano and three organs, spread across the stage. She sat at her piano and began to sing. Wow! It was a transfixing performance, each song crisp and perfectly sung. I had the thought at one point that to be able to sing like that and to perform for other people so they could listen to the sound is such a gift. And it was such a gift to get to hear it - it was a bit addictive. If you love music and songwriting and amazing piano playing, I highly recommend going to see her live. The rock star inside of me was awakened.
Luckily, there will be karoake at Nicole's wedding this weekend, so if I'm fed enough alcohol, there may be a little 'singin' Jill' show. HAHA Don't get too excited, mom, I'm mostly kidding, though I really wish I could wail like that. Ahhh, someone has to tend the books though, and I am almost at rock-star status at that.

Happy Birthday dad and in case, I'm too busy (or lazy) to blog tomorrow, Happy Birthday to Sheri - you make 30 stand at attention and I'm green with envy, but I love ya.

****OH. MY. GOD. I can't believe I forgot to mention this: Britney Spears is having a baby!!!! EEEEEEEEEEE. Man, if that's not a recipe for one fucked up kid, Mom=one of the most talentless 'singers' who can't keep her pants on (and I mean that literally, when I watch her, I'm afraid they're actually gonna fall off) and Dad=a beer-swilling, skewed baseball hat-wearing, first wife-leaving, baby daddy 'dancer'. Somewhere, a therapist is biding his/her time.****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home