Friday, July 01, 2005

Drowning in heat, and Be Careful!

Mother Nature is one sick entity. At the beginning of this week, she apparently turned on her oven and then went away on vacation (somewhere nice and cool, like northern Canada). I have been craving air conditioning and ice cream and I've had the overwhelming desire to take off my shoes and socks when confronted with the stifling air sitting outside my door. Today, she decided that we should've been appreciating that muggy, still air because it could only get colder and rainier. Just in time for the holiday weekend...

I've been pretty swamped at work and everytime I open a new entry window, I end up walking away and forgetting to blog and then it's the end of the day and I have nothing to say. So, I've saved it all up (not that there's much, don't get excited).
Last weekend, Bryan and I ventured to my cousin party where he met a few dozen insane, screaming Italians. There was enough food to make the participants at an Overeaters Anonymous convention weep with joy, and somehow my cousin Sonny got his hands on a bottomless bottle of red wine (apparently wine fairies are Italian). Luckily, this year's gathering was small due to an accordion convention in Vegas and he was spared seeing the full force of my family in action. The setting was pretty idyllic: a huge house on Cape Cod, nestled in a bay, with a large deck where one has a perfect view of the sea and the air and where the stars are not afraid to shine with all their ferocity.

This weekend is the 4th. Of July. Holy crap time's a-flying. We are again heading to a beach, but this time we're traveling north to Portland, Maine. I hope to lay on the sand during the day, letting my skin soak in some much-needed warmth and color. And to sit on the sand at night and let my eyes and ears feast on the colors and sounds of gunpowder and gases shot into the sky for our amusement (oh, yeah, and to celebrate our independence).

Happy Birthday to Tyler, Charlie and Uncle Steve.

And remember these important tips (culled from ACTUAL fireworks labels - gotta love Chinese to English translation):
DANGER: FLAME WITH LOUD REPORT. DO NOT USE IN CHILDREN.

CAUTION: SHINY BRIGHT, HOT HOT.

WARNING. DO NOT POINT TO EYE. DO NOT WAVE NEAR FACE OR OTHERS. KEEP AWAY ALL HAIR.

Happy 4th!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home