Thursday, October 19, 2006

Historical Fiction!

Held the first meeting of the PS Book Group tonight and it went swimmingly. Every one of my 12 participants showed up and we had a lively discussion about the first book, Our Lives are the Rivers by Jaime Manrique. The theme of this year's Book Group is historical fiction and I was really nervous about the meeting because we usually have a guest facilitator who moves the discussion along and adds historical background to the text we're reading. Since the Latin American scholar I had originally scheduled to come cancelled 2 weeks ago, and I didn't have time to get anyone else, I had to take the lead. I crammed for 3 days, reading as many books as I could about the push for independence at the turn of the 19th century in the Spanish-ruled South American countries so that I could provide some context for the group. The book explores the connection between Simon Bolivar and his lover of 8 years, Manuela Saenz. Not much is known about her, but Manrique channels her spirit to write one of the most engaging and, well, perfect books that I have read in a long time. It was fun and made me sad that I will miss the rest of the meetings. However, when I got home I received a call from one of the libraries to which I applied for a job and I have a real interview next week. Maine!

1 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jill,

I saw your heading and I stopped.

My name is Geoffrey Edwards. My novel, Fire Bell in the Night,
was recently published by Simon and Schuster. It is a
historical thriller set in Charleston, the year the Civil War
almost began.

I would love to be able to send you a copy. As a first time
novelist, the publishing house offers little backing, and my
best marketing plan is to send out copies to interested readers
who may recommend it. If you like it, great. Maybe tell a
friend. If not, no problem. Donate it, throw it out, whatever
you see fit. I am not looking for you to make it a selection of your club, either. Just a read is all I ask.

If you are interested, please let me know whre I might send a copy (perhaps your library if that would make you more comfortable). My emailaddress is geoffreye@hotmail.com. Either way, I won't bother you again.
Thank you so much for your time.

All the best,
Geoff Edwards
firebell.gather.com
geoffreysedwards.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home