Friday, March 10, 2006

Starting St. Patty's celebration early

I have a crazy weekend in store, first Newport, RI for some Irish food and dangerous and delicious carbombs (a shot of Baileys in a 3/4-full Guinness that is ingested as quickly as possible), then off to Saratoga, NY on Saturday afternoon to hang with Bryan's best man, then home on Sunday to get ready for another packed week. I don't like to think too many weekends ahead since most of the next 6 or 7 are loaded with to-dos and gatherings and, um, a wedding.

Bryan and I watched the complete run of The Office, the British version, and I've had the theme song stuck in my head almost every day this week. I am completely in love with this show, both British and American iterations. The characters are excellent, the writing is spot on, and what Ricky Gervais can do with a guitar - Woo! I urge people to get the complete DVD set with seasons 1 & 2 and the 2-part specials and watch those and all of the extra features. And, as for the American version, Steve Carell is amazing and so far they haven't ruined the subtlety and undercurrent of humanity that kept me watching the British version. Even through the bumblings and inappropriateness of the things that come out of his mouth, Michael Scott is on par with David Brent. And what's become of the handbags and the gladrags that your grandad had to sweat so you could buy? What indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home