Wednesday, March 08, 2006

You think you know madness...

but until you have a bracket for things other than basketball, you really don't. This bracket is for the Tournament of Books going on at the online magazine The Morning News. The tournament is a competition between 16 acclaimed novels, not necessarily the best or most beloved, but acclaimed nonetheless. Don't worry, I'm not totally nerding out. I have been watching more basketball than the average librarian and will certainly participate in my honey's annual Madness pool. But, I love games and this just feels like another way to bring some gameplaying into a field I like very much: the "reading books field".

Unlike the rest of the world, I haven't yet weighed in about the Oscar "best-movie debacle". Having only seen Brokeback Mountain and therefore having no knowledge or authority regarding the other nominees, it did seem like Brokeback got the shaft (no pun intended). I have been reading articles all week that have pointed to the insipid, de facto homophobia running rampant in Hollywood. Though the industry is probably one of the most gay-friendly, when it counts, when an award is at stake that would make a statement, just like a good red-stated, middle American, an Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voter cast his vote for the socially conscious film rather than the truly daring, emotionally gripping possibility. Again, not having seen the other candidates, my opinion is worth diddly, but I was blown away by Brokeback Mountain and would've liked to see it win the big award. I really couldn't complain that much because "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" did win and that was satisfying for some reason. I did see Hustle and Flow and that song was pretty central to the plot. Would I have nominated it for Best Song, probably not, but it was nominated, and I like that it won. 'Nough said.

Happy belated bday to Melisa - Bryan and I raised a glass to you and to Steve and that memorable bday we spent at Tir Na Nog 2 years ago!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home