Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Event planning pitfalls

I'm back in grant-writing hell at work as I try desperately to complete a grant to the b@nk of americ@ foundation that I have no desire to write.
And this week, I have the first meeting of the PS book group, which I am running. I have never run a book group before so I am a bit nervous that everyone will show up and then just sit there and not talk. Since most of the participants are teachers and librarians, this is probably an unnecessary worry; teachers and librarians do like to talk about books.
Then to end the week, I am facilitating a round-table discussion about issues and strategies for special librarians at the regional library office. Again, I hope that people show up and that those who do, talk. I really like designing and running events, parties, etc., but it really does add a lot of pressure to one's day. What if no one comes? What if no one talks to one another? What if I forget to wear pants that day? At least at parties, there is the possibility of alcohol numbing the inhibitions a bit. Should I be spiking the coffee at work events to help alleviate my worries?

Halloween is fast approaching and party planning is in full effect for that. The basement is almost ready to begin haunted house construction. A costume has been thought up (though not quite executed yet). And, the upstairs kitchen has been tiled and plastered (this doesn't have much to do with the party, but it's good to make progress from one year to the next and since we meant to do this for last year's party, I'm happy it's done).

Wedding update: the hotel at which we hoped to stay, the one that's TWO DOORS away from the reception hall, has informed us that they will officially open for the season next year one week AFTER our wedding. I haven't completely digested this news or started on a course of action to get them to change their minds, but it was quite a blow and we will be a little bit devastated if they stick to their guns and refuse to open. Hotels in Gloucester are pretty much on their own time frames and can decide when to open without any real regard to people who might be counting on them to be open. It is just so lucrative to open for the months they do, that they don't have to bother with accomodating a wedding at the end of April. So, here is our wedding wrinkle. Let's hope there is an iron big enough to conquer it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home