Tuesday, June 29, 2004

The weekend activities caused some mixed emotions. Fahrenheit 9/11 left me burning with indignation at the recklessness of the current administration. I knew that it would offer a slanted view against Bush and that it existed to incite, but it just left me with the sad feeling that the President of the United States has perpetuated many egregious acts against the people he swore to protect. And as I continue to hear stories of soldiers captured and beheaded or shot in the head, I am more disheartened about our place in Iraq. One of my biggest problems with Moore's film is that it did not truly offer any suggestions or solutions. He is not a politician so he is not formally charged with creating solutions, but his use of the film to simply point fingers was a let-down. I guess that what the film does is offer choices to the viewer: Get mad and do something about this situation. Get mad and do nothing. Or don't believe any of it and vote for Bush this November. I am mad and my action is to vote for Kerry and hope that the tide of anti-Americanism will shift under a more diplomatic and sophisticated hand. This does feel kind of passive, but I would rather read books and watch baseball and movies than be politically active. I am lucky to have that choice. I know this. I still think that W is a muddleheaded lackwit.

My family reunion was slightly less political as over 50 people related to me in one way or another gathered to discuss who was doing what where and to whom. I had to inform a few members of my family that I was now single again, which was a bit of a shock, but everyone accepted it with their usual grace and overwhelming support. My happiness was their only concern and they could see that I am happy and settled, so life goes on.

One of my cousins, Lois, and her boyfriend, John, two children and grand daughter, came to their very first cousin party (we've been doing the reunion for the past 14 years). They live in Florida and work in the tourism industry so it is difficult for them to get away in the summer. It was great to see them. Because of their presence, only 3 of my mom's first cousins were not there. It was pretty incredible.

I did manage to watch a few more movies this weekend, including the end of Singin' in the Rain, which was wonderful, The African Queen, Katharine and Humphrey going down the river together=excellent, and Billy Elliot, "I'm not a pouf, I just love bal-let" - fantastic movie. Last night, Bryan and I borrowed 2 movies from the Brookline Public Library where we were happy to learn that they don't charge at all for movies. Have I said it before? I love libraries. We watched the creepy, voyeuristic Rear Window and the creepier, transexualistic Rocky Horror Picture Show. It has been quite a few years since I have see the RHPS and while I remembered it being weird, I had forgotten just how weird. I still love Tim Curry in a metallic corset and Susan Sarandon singing "Touch-a, touch-a, touch-a, touch me", but I could not watch this again for a few more years and not be too sad. It was more fun to comment on the movie than really watch it.

Tomorrow is the last day to vote for the Baseball All-Star game, so be sure to visit MLB.com and vote for all of the Red Sox players it is possible to vote for.

2 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Chris said...

The first time I saw the RHPS was in NYC at the famed 8th street playhouse where the whole "Legend" began with the whole "live show" aspect. What a trip that experience was! I've gone on to see the film at least 100 times and always laugh.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Jill O. said...

That's cool - I saw a live show at the old Shopper's World Cinema in Framingham when I was in high school. I think that's what solidified the movie in my memory of great movies. It's still good, but oh, so strange.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home