Saturday, May 29, 2004

I'm a Genuine Tourist

So, I have officially become a tourist after 2 days in San Francisco. And even though she grew up here, Corissa has joined me. Thursday we went over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito and Marin County. We went to the Palace of the Arts, which was built for the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exhibition; it is a beautiful structure designed to look like a Roman ruin. There is also a theatre and a science museum there, but we didn't go into either. We also drove Lombard street, which is the 2nd crookedest street in the city (the most famous one, though, and absolutely beautiful with gardens lining the brick-paved street), and we drove up Telegraph Hill to Coit Tower. We walked Muir Woods and saw Redwoods. I probably took way too many pictures of trees and will bore those who are sweet enough to look at my pictures when I get back; sorry in advance.

Friday we did Fisherman's Wharf, which is a total tourist trap. There are street performers everywhere and people dressed in drag who will gladly let you take pictures with them (Corissa was a little too freaked out to pose with the giant transvestite dressed in lime green spandex and carrying a hot pink parasol. Go figure). We walked to Ghirardelli Square where I gave myself a stomachache eating chocolate squares, drinking a chocolate malted and staring at all of the melted chocolate. Then we rode a cable car to Union Square. I am in love with trolleys and think that every city should have them. The open air, the dinging of the bell, hanging out of the car pretending to be Judy Garland in "Meet Me in St. Louis" - thrilling!

Today we have tix to the Giants (not at 3Com like I thought, that is the old Candlestick Park and where the 49ers play) at SBC Field. I am looking forward to watching Barry Bonds hit a homer to us in the bleachers. I was saddened to hear that the Sox lost to Seattle last night - it is hard to get news of Boston 3000 miles away.

Napa Valley tomorrow, Santa Cruz on Monday and then home to share those tree pics. Funny how people say they leave their heart in San Francisco. I came all the way to this city and know that my heart is in Boston.

1 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Blogger njm said...

marla get out of here you tourist i need this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home