Sunday, May 23, 2004

I'm On the Web

Well, here it is. My first blog entry. I have been envying everyone else his/her blog, so I decided to do something about it.

I guess the purpose of my blog will be to let people know what's in my head (scary!), recommend some good reads, and to comment on the general fucked up state of the world.

So, in my head: the theme from M*A*S*H and the urge to quit my job almost daily. I am also happy because I just ate a really good tuna salad sandwich from Whole Foods. And the sound of the ventilation system at work (a small corporate library in Boston). Right now, there is a coolish breeze blowing down from the ceiling which I can not only feel, but I can hear because it is so deathly quiet at work. It is a nice-ish Sunday in Boston and apparently no one wants to visit a library and read books about women in leadership, spirituality and 19-century history. Big surprise. I don't even want to read books in those areas and I freakin' love books.

A good read: The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst. I picked this up at my local public library because I was intrigued by the title. It's Parkhurst's first book and it's the story of a man who has recently lost his wife in an accident and the only witness to said accident is the couple's dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback. The man is a professor of linguistics, so he decides to teach this dog to speak so she can tell him what happened. This is as impossible as it sounds, but the descriptions of his sessions with his dog (which could have been expanded on), as well as the memories of his wife that come upon him as the book progresses are truly touching. I think that you have to like dogs and be a bit of a romantic to enjoy this book, but the writing is solid and the story moves along well.

Comment on the world: C'mon. More abuse pics were published in the Washington Post this weekend. Really sick. I'm sure this kind of freakish abuse goes on all over the world and in each war, but to document it so extensively? Dumb, and it makes it that much more heinous for some reason.

That's enough for now. My fingers are tired and I actually have some patrons to help. In a happy aside - Sox are ahead - oh, happy day! Ok, didn't want to start a whole new entry - Sox cleaned up the field with the Jays and are now sitting pretty in 1st. To quote Bryan, "I heart the Red Sox."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home