Monday, May 24, 2004

Blogs, Love, and Fossil Fuel as Crack

So, I've been thinking a lot about blogs, having just started this one. It is a strange thing, writing all about yourself, hoping that people 'out there', some you might know, others you will never meet, read what you put down. I think it is a great way to stay connected to people I don't see regularly and who are wondering, "What is going through Jill's head these days?" And, being a person who values her own opinions more than a little, it is excellent to have a forum to write about them, even if no one ever does read them. Kind of a purge philosophy - outta me, onto you.

I read Toni Morrison's latest book Love, which has won award after award and garnered many accolades, and I have to add my praise. The writing is powerful; Morrison is an amazing communicator of human emotions, in this case as they relate to love. She explores different types of love: friendship between men, and between women; love between a husband and wife; lust; infidelity; adoration; and the flip of side of love, hatred so hot it burns up more than one life. The story is told through present tense narration and flashbacks. It is the story of an enclave of people who react to one man--Bill Cosey, entrepreneur, patriarch, revered owner of the Cosey Hotel and Resort, and notorious ladies' man--and to each other as they tell the story of Up Beach. The end of the book left me with a few unanswered questions, but it also left me secure in the knowledge that Morrison is an amazing writer, who taps into the full spectrum of humanity.

There is a great article by Kurt Vonnegut on the state of the world. He says it as well as I ever could. Fossil fuels=crack. I love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home